Celebrate Life! Artists Collaborating for Kids with Cancer
Celebrate Life Artist Allies are a select group of diverse artists who will join forces for an event in May 2018 to support kids with cancer. Individually, we accept the challenge of creating a personally authentic work of art inspired by the drawing of a child with cancer. Collectively, our aim is to help the C4Life: Celebration for Life organization raise money for Camp Can Do and its campers. We also plan to have fun, build community, and grow as artists while doing it.
The Back Story:
Camp Can Do is a summer camp tucked away in the woods of Mount Gretna, PA, where for two weeks each summer, kids with cancer can Just. Be. Kids. This past August, I was lucky to hang out with a few of these amazing campers. Armed with markers and pastels, the idea was to simply draw what they love. Here's what they created...
The IDEA is to connect campers with "Artist Allies," who honor the courage of these kids and celebrate life with them through art.
- Artists select a child's drawing and create a work of art that draws inspiration in any way from the original piece.
- Whether that inspiration is a color, a shape, a concept or motif, whether it triggers a memory or personal experience, the artist creates work that either aligns with his or her current journey as an artist, or encourages experimentation and the breaking of new ground.
- Importantly, the finished work will also align with the theme "Celebrate Life." This theme is designed to be broad but unifying, and it is true to the infectious positive outlook of these young people.
- All media are welcome, although there are size and weight limitations.
- Finished work does not need to mirror or even resemble the original drawing. There are no rules. The idea is to start with the drawing, travel inward, and see what evolves.
- For the auction, artists set the minimum bid for their work and receive half of the minimum bid (if met) to cover material costs.
The GOAL is to raise enough money to send at least one kid to camp! The Celebrate Life Artists' Alliance will also generate community awareness about childhood cancer and the amazing work of Camp Can Do and the Celebration for Life organization.
A series of EVENTS will be held during Lancaster PA's Spring Art Walk (May 4-6, 2018) at Warehouse D.
- Friday, May 4...
A private VIP CELEBRATION will take place in the newly renovated 6th Floor of Warehouse D and will include an auction of the artwork, live music, and hors d'oeuvres!
- Saturday and Sunday, May 5 and 6...
The COMMUNITY will be invited to visit displays at Warehouse D during the SPRING ART WALK and participate in a collaborative public art project! Also, information about the kids, the camp, and the 2018 Celebrate Life Artist Allies will be available for visitors.
If you love the idea of being a 2018 Celebrate Life Artist Ally, or if you have questions, simply email me (Stacy Caldwell). I will reply with more information - including a timeline and size/weight limitations - and a short form for collecting basic information. Also, once all of the artists are lined up, you will receive an invitation to meet up with other artists who have taken the challenge!